Friday, July 20, 2012

Saying Goodbye

What do you say about a "once in a lifetime opportunity" that I now got to do twice? And how do you say goodbye? It's bittersweet sitting here, letting the sun come into the windows, drinking my tea, and thinking about how this time tomorrow I will be on a plane heading west, heading HOME. I cannot believe how lucky I have been to spend an extended period of time in Europe... TWICE, and like any good student of life, I've decided to use today to figure out what I have learned this time around and then to say goodbye.


The change in myself is slight, but it is something I had an extended conversation with one of Aidan's friends about. He asked me what my favorite part of being over here had been, and I told him that I really had learned to live in the moment. That sounds so cheesy coming out of your mouth, let me tell you, but it was the most honest answer. When you are in a relationship of any kind when you are away from someone you love, often a lot of your energy goes into counting down the days, minutes, seconds until you see them again. I've been guilty of that a lot. But this summer being with someone I love very much, I can honestly say I've learned to enjoy little, ordinary moments. I can't wait to be home, sitting on the couch with my family watching House Hunters, and I can't wait to see my colleagues at work and talk with my team about our new lessons or enjoy getting to know my new 25 friends. I miss the ordinary moments, and I am so excited to appreciate them. 


I've learned that education is a subjective term: it's all about how you define it. For a teacher I know that is a bold statement, but stay with me. Aidan and I were talking last night about all of our trips over the past year, and we talked about a man we met in the slums of Marrakech, Morocco who had nothing more than a 5th grade level education but was fluent in 5 languages. There are so many people like him. In the US we would call these people uneducated, but are they? I have a lot of thinking to still do on this topic (and luckily a very long plane ride tomorrow!), but I'm starting to think that education is about creating a state of mind. Every day I teach useable skills to my students, but I like to think I do more than that. My ultimate goal is to create a mindset and foster a way of thinking so that students can take in information and in a meaningful way. I think being educated is learning to think critically and to adapt to the world around you. Can you learn those things without formal schooling? Probably! But in most of the developed world, school is exactly where we learn to adapt, solve problems, and ultimately survive. And when you think about it that way, teachers are the most important people you've got in this ever changing world. 


I've learned that food should taste good. In my post "Things America Could Learn from France" that never got published, this was one of my big points. I enjoy every meal here, and maybe it has something to do with enjoying the little things or maybe it's the fact that the French have phenomenal food. Here, people go to the grocery or market every day and buy food for their meals because it will all go bad if they buy it days in advance. And when you eat it, guess what? You feel AWESOME! I've had one meal here where I have gotten up from the table and wanted to roll over into a food coma, and that was the day I met my little Swiss friend who made me eat half a roll of cheese! I work- a lot and multiple jobs- at home, and I know this lifestyle isn't realistic. But I have never been so inspired and encouraged to cook using fresher food, smaller portions, and ENJOY what I'm eating. This is a single step in the right direction for little Miss Qdoba and the girl whose Mom makes things for work pitch-ins :)


I've learned that pieces fall into place. I caught myself several times thinking about moments or things that got me right here to this moment, and there were so many (seemingly insignificant at the time) factors that without them this would never have been possible. I don't know how I feel about fate, but I do believe things work out. Call it faith, call it whatever you want, but we're all going to be okay, people. I know it.


I've learned a few other things that for now I'm going to keep to myself- things about where I'm going or who I want to be. I am completely sincere when I say that there are so many people I cannot wait to hug, there's a car I cannot wait to drive, a bed I can't wait to sleep in, and a job that I have never been more excited to get back to. I think travel gives you the best gift- time away but a chance to see the other side, taking a little piece with you. I'm ready to go home and share my little piece. Life is good today.

No comments:

Post a Comment