Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Highlights

I realized that there were a lot of things that happened that I didn't blog about because I ran out of time, I couldn't think of anything thought-provoking to say, or I just forgot, but I wanted to share a few highlights that I haven't yet told you about.


Budapest with the Fitzgerald Kids
Aidan's brother and sister came to visit, and we decided to take a group trip to Budapest. It was my first time in Eastern Europe, and I loved it! The Communist influence is still visible in Hungary, and this definitely peaked all of our curiosity. We had many conversations about what traveling even further east to Romania and Russia might be like... I guess I'll just have to go some day! Highlights from Budapest: it was dirt cheap, incredibly warm (a welcome change from the 60 degree rain in Paris), and a very walk-able city. We enjoyed climbing up the different hills to get great views, and we ate unbelievably delicious meals that lasted 3 hours. Great company, great weather, great weekend.


Parliament

Menu at one of the restaurants where we ate. This one's for my dad :)

The Elizabeth Bridge

Siblings!

Versailles
Versailles was everything you would expect it to be- a huge, magnificent palace. We opted for the self-guided tour and enjoyed looking at the elaborate decorations, ancient furniture, and expansive grounds. Highlight: Strolling through the gardens and running into a family from Nashville. The parents had graduated from Vandy, and we chatted for a little while about what an amazing place it is! In the gardens are several large lakes, and you can rent boats to row around. We wanted to do that, but unfortunately it was closed for the day. Next time!

I love the sky in this shot of the palace

Hunter, Sean, and Ellen

Chandelier in Versailles

Famous Hall of Mirrors


Bastille Day in France
When Aidan first suggested that we stay in Paris for Bastille Day, I was a little bummed about missing another opportunity to travel. However, Bastille Day (French Independence Day) was one of my favorite days here! The French know how to party! We woke up early and went to the bakery for breakfast. As we were walking to the bakery, Aidan and I saw a military flyover that was basically a timeline of French aircraft. What I mean is, the flyover started with modern day planes (Aidan was proud to tell me his company made those) that emitted red, white, and blue smoke, and the air parade continued until the last planes were those used to fight in World War I. It was so interesting and enjoyable to stand on the streets watching this. People were stopping in the streets to look up, and there were even viewers shouting "VIVA LA FRANCE!" from their balconies! After the "parade," we took a walk through the market collecting things for our get together later. We sat in Luxembourg Gardens for a while where we saw 5 men jump out of a plane with a parachute that looked like a French flag! Finally that night, we met up with several coworkers and friends at an apartment close to the Eiffel Tower and had a pitch-in before heading to watch the fireworks. It was a great final weekend in Paris, and I am thrilled I was able to participate in it all! 

Happy Bastille Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment