Friday, June 15, 2012

Bubbly

My mom always says that the year we moved was the year we saw our family the most. She refers to the year we spent in Los Angeles and claims that when you live in a place far away, so many people visit that you forget you are not at home. Aidan and I were so excited on Wednesday that his brother and sister came to visit and are staying for 10 days! 


When you are from the United States, sometimes I think it is difficult to remember that there are people who have never been there and quite frankly don't care. Being over here is a constant and refreshing reminder that the world exists beyond our borders, a much needed lesson in humility. That said, I do smile a little bit hearing American English, and I love the strike-up conversation between a lost American tourist and myself. Being thousands of miles from home, it is amazing how much I suddenly have in common with a older man from Seattle, and how all of those conversations feel like a piece of home.


Waiting for Ellen and Sean, I got the best little taste of home from a French family. They had just gotten off the plane from the United States and were being greeted by French relatives. The returning family was extremely excited to show their relatives things they brought from their vacation, and they began to open up their suitcase in the little cafe outside of customs. Being nosy and unable to take my eyes off these adorable, bubbly children, I watched as the adults opened a HUGE suitcase. Inside were two bags of American flags and- I am not exaggerating- 25 bags of every kind of M&M that is produced. Peanut Butter, Crunchy, Mint... you name the M&M, they had it. What made this people-watching even better, the little French girl (maybe 5 or 6), started bouncing up and down, waved her arms in a circle, and screamed "Oh YEAHHHHH!" In that moment I was so America sick, it hurt, but seeing someone else enjoy "America" was perfect.


After wandering for a few days, Ellen, Sean, and I decided to take a day trip to go champagne tasting. Reims was a city that I was hesitant to go to but will not forget... a perfect reminder that some great things in life are a complete surprise. Ellen, Sean, and I got off the train, and even in the downpour of rain, we found ourselves in a quaint pedestrian town full of small shops and cafes. Being the introvert that I am, this town appealed to me, and I loved being able to walk down the street without a crowd of 15 million people. We visited two champagne caves- Taittinger and Pommery. Champagne makers take advantage of the chalk caves the Romans excavated in the 4th Century. The first one was a pristine, well-kept cave and a perfect introduction to the making of champagne. Fun fact: Champagne is only considered champagne if it is made in this French region!



While Tattinger was a perfect introduction to something I knew absolutely nothing about, visiting the Pommery caves was an eyeopening and fascinating trip through time. This particular cave was established in the early 1800's and has carried on production ever since. Even more fascinating, the caves were host to a large population of Reims civilians during the first World War. When the Germans destroyed most of the city, the citizens descended into the caves and carried on life there for 400 days. The teacher in me was absolutely amazed by the stories of school in the caves while bomb raids were happening 20 meters above them. Just to give you an idea of how severe these raids were, following the war, only the town cathedral and 60 houses were still standing. 



At the end of the tour the guide took us to their private cellar with vintages that dated back to 1898. The last time a bottle was taken from this cellar and consumed was in 2005 when World War II veterans from the United States and Great Britain returned to Reims to commemorate the signing of the treaty in 1945. Something about that gave me goosebumps and made me smile. Maybe it was the subtle connection to home, maybe it was the charity of the French, or maybe it was just the idea that there is so much out there bigger than you or me.

1 comment:

  1. Liz! This sounds amazing. I miss all the history even the smallest towns in Europe seem to be able to pack into their borders. Love living vicariously through you and your blog! :) Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete